Saturday, February 18, 2012

Neighbors

We have next door neighbors.
The mom is in her 30's and has 3 kids. 6, 4, and 2.
Shortly after they moved in, she lost her husband unexpectedly. I don't know if her lack of parenting is because of that, or if she has always parented like this.
I have tried to be loving and nurturing to her kids.
I let them come in to my home and get in to everything.
I hug my neighbor and let her cry openly to me.
We put up with the kids squirting our door, our dog, and us, with water guns.
We nicely move their shoes, toys, bikes, scooters, off of our mailbox, and out from behind the car and put them back in their yard.
I sat in her basement, listening to her tell me all about her pet spiders, how dangerous they are, and how her husband is in her walls.
I let her show me her collection of skulls, and where she keeps all of her guns, all while her gross cat was crawling all over me.
We ignore the cigarette smoke that makes its way into our house.
We don't say anything when her creepy dad lets his yucky dog poop all over our front yard.
We lay in bed listening to the kids bang, and bang, and bang, on our front door every morning.
We keep all of our blinds closed, resulting in a very dark and gloomy house, just so that they will not see us inside.
We make Moose stay inside so that her kids wont spy us opening the door to let her out.
And we try not to freak out, when the little girl has her hands and face smashed up against our car as we are backing out of the driveway, screaming at us with her wild frizzy hair blowing all over.
It's freaky guys.
I am not exaggerating any of this. If anything, I am not doing a good enough job explaining it to you to!

I love kids. I'm so good at it, that I make money doing it. we are very friendly people. We make friends easily, and get along with everyone. But sadly, because of all the things mentioned above,  I am at my wits end. I feel badly, but just this morning, the kids were yelling at my front door banging on it, SO LOUDLY. I was trying to ignore it. I carefully closed the blinds even more just to be sure they didn't see me inside.  I actually had my camera on recording it, because I know that when I explain it to my family, they won't believe just how bad it is!
After a while, the little girl started screaming, "Open your door! Help us! Help us!"
When a child is outside, banging that much, for that long, and then screams that while trying to get in to your house... you have to open the door.
As soon as I opened it, her eyes got huge, and she said, "I just wanted to say hi"
Now, normally that would be adorable, but with everything else, it's just annoying and I find nothing adorable about this small child who I once thought was sweet.
Her mom is oblivious to everything. Even when she is here, at my house, her kids are getting in to everything, and she doesn't care. We put up with it, because she lost her husband 3 months ago, and I'm sure that is awful, and we are sensitive to that. But she was standing there, knew what was happening, and didn't apologize at all.
I offer to watch her kids, we have brought them cookies, Mike has fixed her sons bike. I mean, we are really being nice.
But when they are in my house, because her daughter tripped on my porch and her lip is bleeding, and she wanted to make sure I knew, and I say I'm sorry, But I need to go work. I'm in my pj's and have clearly just woken up to her kids banging at my door, you don't give in to your daughter saying that she wants to stay, and tell her you will come get her later then. You take her. Or at least ask if its okay that she stays... don't you?
I think that we have been very nice. She has talked to me about her husbands death, her dad has come talked to me. We watch her kids, we put up with everything that they do, we are constantly offering to do things for her. I don't think that being irritated at this point is rude.
I mean the only next thing to do, is tell her that her kids can't come over anymore. I don't want to do that, and I don't think it would make a difference anyway. But we have politely said things. Like saying I have to go to work, and  so her daughter needs to go home but can come back later today. And then her mom not caring and letting her daughter stay anyway!
I have never been so rude a kid in my whole life. I didn't know it was possible, but today I had to put my foot down. I told the little girl that she had to go home now. I put my hand on her back while she cried, and showed her the way out. I had to bribe her with candy, but she still wasn't happy about it. How heartless am  I. Seriously.

We don't know what to do though. We may have to pull out the big guns.

AND,

(Mike wanted me to put that up)




Pin It!

3 comments:

ABCDragon said...

Wow! You are so much nicer than I am. Not that I would be rude, but I wouldn't be such a sweetie! I think you should just talk to the mom about her kids coming over. Say "I love when they come over, but sometimes it's just not an appropriate time for us." I dunno, I haven't been in the situation, so I can't tell you what to do, but I hope it helps somewhat!!!!

Shannon Dooley said...

Wow I feel for you! We had a neighbor at our old house who was raising his granddaughter after her father died and mother went to jail. The little girl was ALWAYS knocking on our door with her little friends. It wasn't a horrible situation but I can somewhat relate. GL!

Hotflash said...

Oh my heavens. You are NOT heartless. You have gone out of your way to be kind and nice. But you have a life too and they are exceeding their boundaries and yes, you HAVE to put your foot down. I remember having a similar situation with a little girl named Chancily.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. How horrible. :-(