Tuesday, June 14, 2011

This just in!

I'm getting older!

It doesn't even feel like my Birthday is tomorrow. So much has happened in a year.
I was sick on my birthday last year, I do remember that. Mike came over and brought me The Power Puff Girls. Now that is LOVE :)
The birthday before that, was one of my favorites. My Mom, my sister, my nephew Taiger, Ryan, and Myself were living in Sugarhouse. I went shopping and snagged a lot of cute clearance things. I shopped with Ry, and called in sick to work to go bowling with some of my favorite friends, and neighbors at the time, Matiullah, Shahidah, & Leila... They're pretty much the best and are my other family.



That evening, I went and got frozen Custard with an old friend and pretended we were getting married so that we could go try on Bridal gowns.
It was such a fun day and living in Sugarhouse was wonderful. I loved it. That night on my birthday, like every other birthday since I was eleven, we went out to my favorite restaurant, The Pierpont Cafe. You may know it as Cafe Pierpont. So many memories I have took place in that wonderful, colorful, happy, party in a box kind of Restaurant. SO MANY!



Their Key Lime Pie is to die for, and my Dad and I would always order the 7 layer chocolate cake to go with it.. even though it was not on the menu.. That's right, they would go over to the bakery down the walk and have them make it for us and then bring it over for us to eat. That is how wonderful they are!!!
So back to the birthday I was previously going on and on about... Unfortunately that year, only two of my sisters, my nephew, my Mom, and Ry were able to be there. We were all very excited, as this is a special treat and tradition! after a long time of driving around, we found a parking spot so far away from the Cafe (like always) that we are even more starving than we already were! We walk through the rotating door into the restaurant and I noticed that something was off.. A very..."bouncy" lady came over in a belly shirt and asked me how many were in my party, I told her and then She asked for my ID.. At that point I had realized that the whole place was decorated like a night club! My sister and Mom came in at that point WITH my 2 year old nephew and were very, very heart broken. I asked Her where the Pierpont had moved to, and She let me know that they did not move, only closed. We all walked out with the longest faces. It was the end of our tradition. No more Pierpont celebrating for me. We settled on Applebees and of course still had a fun time. Anyway, that was one of my favorite most recent birthdays.

************

Whenever I think of my birthday, a certain kind of memory comes into my mind. The kind you cannot describe. It's the morning light, and the summer smell in the early morning breeze. French toast, mixed with a just cleaned kitchen, the smell of a new shirt, and always the sound of at least one fan going in the house and a crop duster flying outside.

This is my favorite place to go to when I want something perfect to think about. It has always been this same memory.
I grew up in a small town in Idaho, surrounded by fields. On my birthday I would always wake up early and my Mom had already been up since the crack of dawn and always had the house clean, windows and doors open and was ready to start the day. This was her routine every day. My mom would always tell me she was very excited to give me a present and let me open one as soon as I woke up. It was my favorite. This first present was always a new outfit. And I will always remember the smell of my new clothes growing up. They had a particular smell. After that present I always knew that I was going to be given another gift shortly after I ate, French Toast of course, and when The present was opened, it was always some sort of plastic toy. A set of Jacks, A jump Rope, a Ball, a Polly Pocket.. or, and most of the time, a new doll. I just remember them all so well. Whenever I think of Summer I think of all those things. The lighting, the smells, the sounds, the breeze, all of them. I love having a Summer Birthday. As far back as I can remember I had a birthday party. I got to choose the theme, and my Mom somehow worked her magic and made it the best. And let me tell you, these birthdays were a lot of the time sleepovers, and I always had at the least 8 people. I remember my surprise party She through, I couldn't believe I wasn't going to have a party. She took me to lunch and my Dad met us there for sandwiches, and I remember how happy I was just being there with the two of them! That was such a good birthday.



So, does it feel like it is going to be my birthday in an hour? Not really, but I cannot wait :) No matter where I am, how I celebrate, who I am with What I am eating, it is still a birthday, and how can you not enjoy those? This is my first birthday as a wife, and I am so excited to be celebrating it with my guy. He is so wonderful to me, and so loving. To wake up next to Him will be the best present. It means I have grown up well and all those birthday must have been good for me to get this far. Thanks Mom and Dad (who are not reading this) I because of my family I love my birthday. I cannot wait to be one year older and wiser!




Pin It!

2 comments:

The Lamoreauxs said...

Happy Birthday! Love you tons! I love your posts Bryttan, I can totally picture your fun birthdays growing up!

Hotflash said...

Wow, the picture of the mom and daughter in the pink aprons just threw me back to a vivid memory of MY childhood. That was kinda cool!!